Saturday, December 19, 2009

I all natural / olive oil based shampoo ok for puppy?

I am bringing home a puppy tomorrow and I want to make sure I use the right shampoo on him. I saw the dog shampoos at Petsmart but, they seemed a little harsh.





I have all natural olive oil based shampoo at home that I think would be safer to use on his coat. He is a shih tzu so; I dont want anything too harsh.





Any advice or reccomendations?I all natural / olive oil based shampoo ok for puppy?
Shampoo made for humans contains detergent - all of it, no matter how it is described as ';all natural'; - detergents strip the oil from the dog's skin and coat.





You need to use a decent shampoo made specifically for dogs, non-detergent, so your dog's skin won't be irritated and there will be no residue from ';olive oil'; or any other nonsense hyped for humans.





There are some excellent mild shampoos for dogs that clean without irritating skin or stripping coats.


I used to show one of my dogs, the shampoo many groomers and professional handlers uses and recommended is called HyLite.


It's a bit pricy, but goes a long way and really cleans your dog and leaves his coat beautiful.





In any case, get something made specifically for dogs, but not some cheap Harz junk from Walmart.





By the way, by ';a lot of grooming';, I hope you mean daily brushing, dogs do NOT need to be shampooed more than once or twice a month, that is also not good for their skins and coats.





I shampoo all my dogs (I have 6) once a month just before putting the new dose of Advantix on them - works fine, and I have 2 long hairs. I do brush them every day to make sure there are no burrs or tangles in their coats.I all natural / olive oil based shampoo ok for puppy?
I am a professional groomer and this is the shampoo I use on most dogs that come in, unless they are a white dog or the owner requests something special. We only sell and use Lambert Kay Fresh 'n Clean products at our shop.





http://www.petco.com/product/102442/Lamb鈥?/a>


That is the normal shampoo.





I wouldn't advice an olive oil based shampoo on a shih tzu, the oils will weigh the hair down too much. If you want something that is very gentle I suggest this: http://www.petco.com/product/102444/Lamb鈥?/a> and then rinse with this: http://www.petco.com/product/106067/Lamb鈥?/a>
i have a Pomeranian poodle and the best thing is no tear shampoo so it wont hurt their eyes. you dont need dog shampoo only thing you need to know is dont wash them more then once a week.
Ask the breeder or a vet.





I wouldn't put anything on my dog unless it was intended for it personally, unless someone that i trusted advised me otherwise.
Contact a private grooming salon or your veterinarian for advice.
That seems good to me.


:]

1 comment:

  1. I have 3dogs a yorkie a Pomeranian and a Pekinese I have been bathing my dogs with dove cream oil shampoo and conditioner it makes their hair silky and georgous but you have to make sure that you rinse them very well it's time consuming I've been doing this forever I give them a bath every other week it really works well I was wondering about the Palmer's myself I bet if you make sure you rinse it all off it'll work great but if your going to go with a pet store shampoo anything from espree from Petco is excellent too

    ReplyDelete